Photo Exercise: Capturing Motion
Assignment: With your team and using a DSLR camera, shoot action photos using the following modes:
- Sport/Action mode
- Aperture Priority mode (A or AV)
- Manual mode (M)
Post the best photo from your team in each category on www.piedmontphotojournalism.com.
- You will need to stage the action. Teams can work together shooting one person as a muse.
- Photos must be taken with the provided DSLR camera.
- Do not edit the posted photos.
- The final posted photos can be from anyone on your team, but I want all people to have practice shooting in each mode.
- One person on your team should upload the three photos to the class blog immediately. No captions/cutlines are necessary, but list who took each photo.
- I will need all cameras (unless you are checking it out for the weekend) by 2 p.m.
- Winning team gets lunch. Losers get nothing. Seriously. Three boys are expensive.
- Use the “sports photography” handout for information on settings.
- Using manual mode takes a lot of practice and adjustments, and depends on the environment, so work together to figure out the best settings.
- Figure it out. No whining.